Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A green little thumb I am . . .

Well, I'd like to say that I am as good as my father was, but I don't come close to his supernatural abilities to make dirt give birth to the most amazing flowers I have ever seen! But, I'm a close 2nd. HA! I wish! This year, I have been trying to "move-up" in the ladder of vegetable gardening. I have had a little patch of land that I would grow some meager little veggies, but my AWESOME husband and INCREDIBLE son, Daniel, worked an entire Saturday to build me the garden fence of all gardens! Daniel even designed and built the door by himself! Galen borrowed our friend's rototiller and prepared the dirt in a large open spot that we really weren't using too much. The fence is the key here, because we have deer, rabbits, and other wildlife just devour anything we grow as food out here. Here are some pictures of my thriving garden . . . Galen and Daniel's hard work is not in vain! The veggies and herbs we are growing are: Tomatoes, strawberries, cilantro, basil, rosemary, chives, curly parsley, 3 grape vines in pots (and a 4th that was thought dead and somehow appeared in my garden), jalapenos, tomatillos, red bell peppers, round yellow squash, broccoli, green beans, romaine lettuce, leeks and cucumbers. Whew! Of course we still harvest the raspberry bush that came with the house and seems to be producing more and more every year! Yum!










And tonight for dinner, we ate the fruit of our labor . . . Green Beans! Sienna and I harvested some beans and picked some raspberries too. : )

No comments: